National Agricultural Literacy Curriculum Matrix
Search Lesson Plans & Companion Resources
Changes & Challenges: Utah Agriculture
This multimedia teaching tool is designed to accompany the Utah Studies course taught throughout Utah and help teachers lead discussions with meaningful questions that foster group discussion and interaction. Interacting with the program, the teacher will lead his or her students through a chronological history of Utah, focusing on the settlement of Utah, the self-sufficient nature of the state’s people, and the future of Utah agriculture and agricultural land.
Changes & Challenges: Utah Agriculture is controlled from the old-time radio in the lower corner and has two sections: Story and Agtion.
The Story section progresses chronologically through Utah's agricultural history. The audio can be played as an introduction to your presentation or be turned off if you only want to use the images as a backdrop for your own introduction to the presentation. With each presentation screen, you and your students should select embedded media resources to view and discuss. Use the "Table of Contents" toggle on the old-time radio to select the decade pertinent to the time period you are discussing.
Agtion gives you access to the Cox Family Story (1890- 1940) and the Gossner Family Story (1949-present) presented in a similar format to the Story section along with text, questions for discussion, and web links. Some fun online games that connect agriculture to educational standards are also linked here.
Note: This program is in Flash and is not accessible with mobile devices.
Utah Agriculture in the Classroom
Lessons Associated with this Resource
- Changes & Challenges (1840s-1880s): Era of Self-Sufficiency
- Changes & Challenges (1890s): Utah Becomes a State
- Changes & Challenges (1900s): Boom Time for Agriculture
- Changes & Challenges (1910s): The Boom Continues
- Changes & Challenges (1920s-1930s): Agricultural Hard Times and The Great Depression
- Changes & Challenges (1940s): World War II and Revival
- Changes & Challenges (1950s): Mechanization and Science
- Changes & Challenges (1960s-1970s): Expansion and Prosperity, Big Farms, Big Government
- Changes & Challenges (1980s): Recession, Expansion, and Utah Wheat
- Changes & Challenges (1990s): Products of Utah Travel Worldwide
- Changes & Challenges (2000s): Recession and Expansion
- Google Earth on the Range
- Horse and Rider (Grades 3-5)
- Horse and Rider (Grades 6-8)