National Agricultural Literacy Curriculum Matrix
Search Lesson Plans & Companion Resources
Phosphate Mining Video
Phosphate is the "P" in N-P-K; one of three macronutrients that plants need to thrive. The Phosphate Mining video shows students the process of mining phosphate in the Southeastern region of the U.S. Take a close up look at where this element is found in the earth, how it is obtained, and how it is used as fertilizer to add nutrients to the soil to grow our food supply.
As an optional enrichment activity, use the Paper Manipulative Activity and the Phosphate Mining Multiple Choice Questions and Writing Prompt.
Nutrients for Life Foundation
Lessons Associated with this Resource
- Can We Have Too Much of a Good Thing?
- Concentrate on the Solution
- Digging Into Nutrients
- Fertilizers and the Environment (Grades 6-8)
- Fertilizers and the Environment (Grades 9-12)
- Journey 2050 Lesson 2: Plant Health (Grades 6-8)
- Journey 2050 Lesson 2: Plant Health (Grades 9-12)
- One in a Million
- Plant Growth Affects the Soil (Grades 3-5)
- Plant Nutrient Deficiencies (Grades 6-8)
- Plant Nutrient Deficiencies (Grades 9-12)
- The Right Diet for Your Plants
- The Right Solution