Ag in the Classroom is proud to support school garden programs. Check out our garden-related resources for garden lesson ideas, a guide to starting your school garden, and more! Be sure to also explore the opportunities on our Grants & Scholarships page.
WE Garden Lesson Packet
These one-page lessons have great ideas for hands-on, garden-based learning that can be used within or outside the classroom walls.
Subjects: Science, Mathematics, English Language Arts, Health/Nutrition
- Entire Packet for Grades 4-6 (PDF, 2.4 MB)
- Seed Match for Grades 1-3 (PDF, 537 KB)
- My Life as a Fruit or Vegetable for Grades 4-6 (PDF, 161 KB)
- Eat Your Plants for Grades 1-3 (PDF, 501 KB)
- Frozen, Canned or Fresh? for Grades 4-6 (PDF, 478 KB)
- Six of One, Half Dozen of the Other for Grades 1-3 (PDF, 200 KB)
- Let's Make Compost Cake for Grades 4-6 (PDF, 149 KB)
- Shake, Rattle & Roll for Grades 1-3 (PDF, 150 KB)
- Read the Roots for Grades 4-6 (PDF, 171 KB)
- Bug Sweep for Grades 1-3 (PDF, 150 KB)
- California Crops for Grades 4-6 (PDF, 215 KB)
- Busy Bees for Grades 1-3 (PDF, 433 KB)
School Garden Links and Resources
- Teacher Resource Guide (PDF, 6.9 MB)
- CROP (California Regions of Optimal Planting) Circles
- California Fruits and Vegetables Seasonal Chart (PDF, 18 KB)
- WE Garden Planting Plan
- Request Free Resources
- Partnering Organizations
Gardens for Learning Book
Download the guidebook developed through a collaboration with the Collective School Garden Network.
CROP (California Regions of Optimal Planting) Circles
This easy-to-use diagram illustrates proper planting and harvesting times for 18 crops commonly found in California school gardens.
- Entire Packet (PDF, 1.3 MB)
- Region 1 - Northern mountains (PDF, 281 KB)
- Region 2 - Sierra foothills (PDF, 284 KB)
- Region 3 - Northern/Central coast (PDF, 295 KB)
- Region 4 - Southern coast (PDF, 301 KB)
- Region 5 - Central Valley (PDF, 305 KB)
- Region 6 - Desert (PDF, 289 KB)
California's Fruit and Vegetable Crop Seasons
Check out the chart of California's fruit and vegetable crop seasons, created by the California Department of Food and Agriculture.
Garden-Related Acrostic Poems
The four-page guide introduces students to the history of our nation's Presidential Turkey tradition and engages them with activities about the popular poultry. Activities are aligned to California Education Standards which include Common Core English Language Arts, Common Core Mathematics, and Next Generation Science Standards.
Agricultural Fact and Activity Sheets
The fact sheets include one page of information related to an agricultural commodity and one page of lesson plan ideas for using that information. The set includes everything from almonds to table grapes, as well as plant nutrients: Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potasium.
The Invasive Species Fact Sheet Set introduces six invasive species, the damage they cause to California crops and how to stop their spread.
- Entire Ag Fact and Activity Sheet Packet (PDF, 9.9 MB)
- Invasive Species Fact Sheet Packet (PDF, 13.8 MB)
Our lesson plan collection includes some great resources for garden learning.
- A Garden Plot: The Tale of Peter Rabbit
- Fruits and Vegetables for Health
- What's Bugging You?
- Edibile Plant Parts
- Entire Lesson Plan Collection
What's Growin' On? 7th Edition - Your Link to California Agriculture
This edition of our hands-on student newspaper is focused on gardens. You can also explore the entire collection, as each issue can easily be used to complement a garden-based education.